What are small changes that can be done during the design phase that can lead to significant cost savings during production?

Thanks! Any help would be great!

Link to my original conversation: What are small changes that can be done during the design phase that can lead to significant cost sa - YouTube

Well there’s various examples there. I think one of the most important ones that we’ve encountered is at some part if you want to do a product you’ll likely have to invest in tooling.

And what do I mean with that? Well if you don’t use, say, a standard plastic case that is available in the market, you have to design the mold for your casing. And most likely you’ll need to mold at least one for the bottom part of the casing and one for the top part. But in a lot of products you will need more than two molds.

Molds, especially in the United States, are extremely expensive. I would say in Colombia you will get six times more value for the same amount of money that you spend in the molds. Nevertheless, the problem with the molds is that they are not friendly to changes. You can do some minor changes. But in many cases the mold will need to be remade. So that is quite a big risk

We see in general that companies do a quick design to get to production. And that is logical. But in general, these quick designs are physically large. They have a lot of space in their casing. They’ll work fine if you need to create one product or a small batch of 10. But if you have to ship 10,000 products from one country to another you will pay a lot of money on transport and logistics.

So our approach is we have one plastic supplier here in Medellin that is a partner of ours. If we develop something new, they will be there in the first meeting with our development team. They’ll say in the beginning “think of this”, “think of that”, “don’t forget this”. It’s one hour or two hours to invest in the beginning. But it will prevent headaches on both sides if we really have to do changes.